Choosing a contractor
Congratulations on choosing to add a professionally designed and installed outdoor living space to your home. At Penn Stone we work closely with many local hardscaping designers and contractors, and can help refer you to the best local professional for your project. To request a list of recommended professionals for your project, please stop in or contact us.
To choose the right designer or contractor for your project, start by selecting three or four professionals from our recommended list and interview them to determine who you are most comfortable working with. Ask a variety of questions to determine their level of experience, expertise, and professionalism:
- How long has your company been in business?
- How many years experience do you have installing pavers & retaining walls?
- Is your company capable of handling the size and scope of my project?
- Is your company full-service from design to excavation to final grading?
- How many people do you employ?
- Do you carry liability insurance
- Do you carry workers compensation insurance?
- Can you supply me with references to past hardscaping projects and satisfied clients?
- Are you familiar with the ICPI*? Are you ICPI Certified?
- What guarantee do you provide on your work?
We encourage landscape contractors to be prompt when replying to prospective clients. Particularly during the spring and summer months, many landscape contractors find themselves with too much to do and not enough time to do it, but you should expect a return call within 48 hours.
In the end, the most important factor is your level of comfort. You are selecting a contractor who is installing something important to you, and who will be working at your home for many days or weeks. It is critical to hire someone you trust and feel comfortable talking to.
*ICPI stands for Interlocking Concrete Pavement Institute. The ICPI offers a two-day certification course for contractors. While participating in this classroom-oriented instruction does not necessarily enhance a contractor's installation skills, participating in this class demonstrates a commitment on their part to professional development.